Having a fully-stocked first aid kit that’s ready to go at a moment’s notice is one of the best things you can do to prepare for any emergency situation. While some people choose to create their own prepper first aid kit from scratch, buying and selecting all the equipment you need from a survival first aid kit list can be quite the task. Luckily, there are a number of great premade medical kits on the market that eliminate this time-consuming process.
Selecting the right first aid kit to buy can be challenging as there are so many different models, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. To help you out, we’ve created this buying guide to prepper first aid kits.
Below, we'll discuss what you should look for when selecting your survival first aid kit. This should get you thinking about your needs and give you a good idea of what kind of first aid kit you'd like.
Then, we'll get right into reviews of the three best prepper first aid kits you can buy.
PS... if you are looking for something more specialized like a Gunshot Trauma Kit - check out this great option.
How to choose a survival first aid kit
These days, first aid kits come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. But how do you choose one to buy? Here are some of the key things to consider when selecting your next prepper first aid kit:
Are you looking for a small, portable first aid kit to have with you at all times or to bring on a short hiking trip? Or, do you want one heavy-duty kit that you can leave in your car or home for when disaster strikes?
If you’re out backpacking, you might want equipment that can deal with hypothermia (think emergency blankets) or broken ankles (such as splinting materials).
With kids in the house you may want to look for a kit to keep at home that contains specific pediatric-sized supplies.
Ultimately, what you don't want is to spend money on a kit that turns out to be mostly useless because it doesn't have some essential pieces of equipment for your intended purposes.
Consider what you need and be sure to choose a kit that includes it or get one that has enough space for you to pack in some extra gear. This brings us to...
While larger first aid kits are awesome, they can be bulky and heavy, which makes them impractical for carrying around in a backpack.
The fact of the matter is, if a kit is too large for your intended purpose, you won’t want to carry it - and a first aid kit does you no good on a hunting trip when it’s back at home.
On the other hand, if you have the space for a larger kit, you'll really appreciate the usefulness of its extra contents when you need them most.
Larger kits also often have enough empty space for you to pack with extra supplies. First aid kit size is always a trade-off between portability and sheer quantity of equipment.
What goes in a medical kit, you ask?
Well, it really depends. If you’re looking for a prepper first aid kit that can treat patients after a major earthquake, tornado, hurricane; you’ll want all the trauma kit essentials that you’d find on most ambulances.
But, if you want a first aid kit to keep with you at work or in a bug out bag, you might be more interested in a kit that can handle minor trauma and a plethora of medical emergencies.
It’s always a good idea to read through a first aid kit’s content list so you know what you’re buying. However, it’s important to remember that you can always add to the kit, so long as you have enough space in the bag to add things like OTC medications.
So, as you read through a list of trauma kit contents, consider what else you might need and make sure you supplement your kit.
Design and layout
Some first aid kits are simple waterproof Ziploc bag-style designs that are small, compact, and easy to stuff in a hiking backpack. Others are genuine ambulance-style kits that have an abundance of pockets and straps to keep things organized.
If you’re the type that needs organization to work efficiently, you’ll likely want a kit with more pockets and compartments. Other people prefer the simplicity of the ‘stuff-sack’ first aid kit, so it really all comes down to opinion here. People who spend a lot of time outside or in rainy climates might enjoy the functionality of a waterproof first aid kit, too.
Our Top Picks for Ready Made First Aid Kits
Now that you know what to look for in a prepper first aid kit, let’s get right to the reviews. Before deciding on any of these first aid kits, keep the the above considerations in mind so you’ll have the equipment you want when you need it most.
Adventure Medical Kits - Guide Medical Kit
- Essential for leading a group on any long outdoor excursion
- Ideal for outings lasting up to two weeks
- Treat everything from severe bleeding, fractures, and pain to everyday aches, blisters, and scrapes
Weight: 2 lbs, 2 oz
Dimensions: 10 x 5.5 x 7in
Recommended Use: hunting, fishing, camping, outdoors
The Adventure Medical Kits Guide Kit was designed with hunters, fishers, and outdoors men in mind. This sportsman’s first aid kit includes a specifically tailored set of gear for treating the most common hunting and fishing related injuries, such as bullet and arrow wounds, fish hook removals, fractures, and severe bleeds.
Adventure Medical Kits recommends the Guide Kit for groups of 1-7 for trips up to 14 days long, so it’s perfect for recreational and commercial sportspeople, alike. What’s so great about this kit, you ask?
To start with, it's actually two-in-one. The kit comes with a removable waterproof field trauma pack. This special pack contains everything you need to treat the most common serious injuries outside, including QuikClot, a Swat-T Tourniquet, and a CPR face shield.
This means that you can leave the big kit back at camp and bring just the field trauma kit with you for the day. We love this versatility because it lightens your day pack and makes it easier to find the gear you need when you need it.
The whole kit, field trauma pack included, is one great survival first aid kit. It comes with everything you need to stop severe bleeding and then clean and close the wound when you're done.
Plus, it's got all the wraps and bandages necessary to immobilize fractures and support sprained joints. If that wasn't good enough, the kit contains an up-to-date pocket-sized wilderness medicine guide to remind you how to perform life-saving first aid techniques.
Adventure Medical Kits stocked the Guide Kit full of hospital-quality tools specifically selected to treat the most common and serious injuries in the outdoors environment. This is a great first aid kit for outdoors people who expect a kit to be functional in the harshest conditions.
- EMERGENCY RESPONSE SUPPLIES - Packed in a sturdy bag. Perfect for Earthquake, Tornado, or as a Natural Disaster Preparedness Kit
- REFLECTIVE BAG - Has Large Compartment 2 Front Pockets and 2 Zippered Side Pockets. Customizable Storage Options
- SUPPLIES - Includes a Basic Blood Pressure Cuff , Stethoscope, Gauze Pads, Burn Gel, Eye Wash, Triangle band aids, & Multi Trauma Blood Stop Dressing
Dimensions: 13 x 9 x 6in
Recommended Use: schools, sports, office, home/car, natural disasters
Looking for a trauma-specific medical kit? The MFASCO Trauma Bag might be the kit for you.
This ambulance-quality prepper first aid kit is full of all the gear you’d need to respond in the event of an earthquake, tornado, or natural disaster and is the perfect complement to a natural disaster preparedness kit.
MFASCO’s trauma kit comes packed in a fantastic sturdy bag which is bright orange, reflective, and well designed.
With two front pockets, two zippered sized pockets, and a larger interior compartment there’s plenty of space to add any desired extra equipment, but this kit is so well packed with trauma kit essentials, you probably won’t need to.
It’s easy to transport with a shoulder strap and lid-top carry handle, so you can bring it wherever people need it most.
The MFASCO Trauma Bag comes complete with a large assortment of gauze, bandages, and other bleeding control items. Since it’s ambulance ready, it also comes with a stethoscope, a CPR pocket mask, and a blood pressure cuff so you can be prepared for serious emergencies.
During a major natural disaster, it can be difficult for emergency services to get to a patient, so you need to be ready with all the supplies necessary to care for someone over the long-term.
This prepper first aid kit from MFASCO has everything you could need to respond to a major trauma emergency and has enough space to fit any other gear you might need.
- Full supply listing in description below.
- Bag includes a limited lifetime warranty from Lightning X Products
- Removable foam dividers in main compartment can be customized to fit your space needs
Dimensions: 17 x 19 x 11in
Recommended Use: schools, sports, office, home/car
Another ambulance-quality first aid kit, the Lightning X is a deluxe first responder bag designed to provide basic life support to people in need.
Perfect for sports coaches, school teachers, or for the home and car, the Lightning X provides everything you need to react quickly in an emergency.
Like the MFASCO Trauma Bag, the Lightning X comes in an EMT-type shoulder bag. The Lightning X's bag is made of incredibly durable and water-resistant material with strong nylon carry straps and reflective striping for visibility.
A classic EMT ‘jump bag', the Lightning X is designed to be super organized with an assortment of pockets. Plus, you can rearrange and customize the organization system, so it best meets your needs.
However, unlike the MFASCO Trauma Bag, the Lightning X is designed to handle both trauma and a wide range of medical emergencies.
So, in addition to hemostatic bandages, tourniquets, splinting materials, and bandages, the Lightning X includes a variety of supplies that can help in the event that someone is suffering from cardiac arrest or can’t breathe, such as a bag-valve-mask and a Berman airway kit.
The Lightning X is a ready-to-go emergency first aid kit that can handle a wide range of medical incidents. Its great combination of medical and trauma supplies makes it a fantastic stand-alone kit for the home or office.
We’d recommend this kit to preppers with a bit of first aid training as they’ll be best prepared to make use of some of the more advanced tools that it includes.
Best Selling First Aid Kits
- First aid trauma kit is made of sturdy EVA material, which is shock resistance and damp proof. In any case, high-quality medic pouch enhances the durability.
- The kit is well-organized, making sure everything is in order and you can get it quickly. In case it is difficult to find odds and ends, the mesh pocket inside make it easier.
- Outer dimension: 9 x 6.7 x 4.3 inches. Supplied with 26 emergency medical treatment items, the water-resistant case is specially designed for tactical injuries.
- ✅【Most Advanced First Aid Survival Kit & IFAK】 Upgraded from the best-selling EVERLIT Survival First Aid Kit, improved by the Army Vets, field-tested by the Ex-Army Sergeant. The most...
- ✅【Comprehensive First Aid Kit Exceeds OSHA Guideline, Over 30 Unique Medical Supplies】 The kit contains more than enough supply to fulfill different medical and emergency needs of a...
- ✅【High-Grade Emergency Survival Gears for Camping or Home Needs】 The Advanced Survival Emergency Kit offers more options to ensure you will be well-prepared under any emergencies. The survival...
- ✅【Falcon Trauma Kit】: Falcon Emergency EDC Trauma Kit is ideal for field tactical medics, police, military, combat life savers, first responders, outdoor enthusiasts and more! Well-preparing for...
- ✅【EveryDay Carry】: Falcon Emergency EDC Trauma Kit is made for everyday carry. It is more compact and lightweight with all first aid essentials to stop massive bleeding and to save lives.
- ✅【Stop the Bleeding】: Falcon Trauma kit contains the most use friendly and popular first aid supplies for hemorrhage control on the market, including military tourniquet, tactical pressure...