One of the main reasons to get a pop-up camper from Coleman or any other major camper manufacturer is that they’re much lighter than traditional camper trailers. But how much does a Coleman pop-up camper weigh anyways?
Just knowing that your pop-up camper is “light” isn’t enough. Before you try to tow a pop-up camper, you need to know exactly what it weighs to start towing.
How much does a Coleman pop-up camper weigh? The answer depends on a couple of different factors, but maybe not the ones you’re expecting.
The year your pop-up camper was made may be the most important thing to consider when figuring out how much your Coleman trailer weighs.
Let’s take a closer look at how much a Coleman pop-up camper weighs based on year.
How Much Does a Coleman Pop-up Camper Weigh?
You might be surprised to find out that how much your Coleman pop-up camper weighs depends on when it was made. Over the decades that Coleman has been making campers, the company has slowly increased the size and weight of its models.
Modern Coleman pop-up campers (from the mid-2000s on) can weigh anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 pounds. The largest models in Coleman’s lineup weigh in at close to 3,000 pounds.
In fact, Coleman makes some 16-foot models that are close to 4,000 pounds.
Coleman pop-up campers from the 1970s and 1980s typically weigh no more than 1,400 pounds.
In 1980, nearly all of Coleman’s different pop-up camper models weighed between 1150 and 1360 pounds, despite having such different configurations.
Some smaller models from this period weigh as little as 610 pounds – less than half the weight of Coleman’s modern small pop-up campers.
These weights are what you can expect before you add stuff into your camper. If you have one or two mattresses, kitchen supplies, a propane tank, and a full storage compartment, your trailer could be a lot heavier.
Modern campers can take on an additional 600 to 800 pounds when fully loaded with supplies for a big road trip. Older campers don’t have as much storage space, so they tend to take on only around 200 to 400 pounds when loaded.
Thankfully, there’s an easy way to find out exactly what your Coleman pop-up camper weighs. Coleman keeps information about all of the camper models the company has produced going back to 1967.
Just visit this page, choose the year your pop-up camper model was manufactured, and look for the listed weight of your camper in the table near the end of the booklet.
What Determines the Weight of a Pop-up Camper?
You might think that the weight of a Coleman pop-up camper is mostly determined by the walls, wheels, and towing apparatus.
In fact, the camper structure itself is the lightest part of your trailer. Most of the weight comes from everything inside the pop-up camper.
If you have a kitchen inside your pop-up camper, that entails installing a kitchen sink, cabinetry, a refrigerator, and more.
A pop up camper bathroom adds even more weight – a toilet alone can weigh upwards of 50 pounds, and every gallon of water you store inside your camper adds another eight pounds.
All of these amenities can quickly add up and exceed the base weight of your pop-up camper.
Why Have Pop-up Campers Gotten Heavier?
Coleman pop-up campers have gotten heavier over the past several decades. Roads haven’t changed, so how is it possible that Coleman’s pop-up camper models have doubled or even tripled in weight?
One of the big differences between now and 40 years ago is that car engines are simply more powerful. Any modern pickup truck or SUV can tow thousands of pounds, so Coleman and other camper manufacturers aren’t as constrained by what users’ vehicles can handle.
As a result, campers have gotten longer. Coleman’s smallest model in 2009 was eight feet long, and most were 10 to 12 feet in length.
The majority of Coleman’s models in 1980 were nine feet long, and smaller models were just seven feet.
With that extra length came the ability to put in more furnishings and amenities. Few pop-up campers from decades past included bathrooms, and many didn’t have space for a second bedframe and mattress.
Now, it’s hard to find a Coleman pop-up camper that doesn’t have two bed spaces, a spacious kitchen, and a dining area.
All those furnishings add a lot of weight. That’s why modern Coleman campers typically weigh 1,500 pounds or more.
Pop-up Camper Weight
It’s important to know how much your Coleman pop-up camper weighs before you start towing. The best way to estimate your camper’s weight is by looking at the year it was manufactured.If it was from the 1970s or 1980s, it’s probably around 1,000 pounds unloaded. If it’s from the 2000s, it likely weighs closer to 2,000 pounds before loading.
- INNOVATIVE POP-UP TENT: The Gigatent 6 foot instant privacy tent offers you instant private space for camping bathroom & potty use, outdoor showers, changing clothes, for use as soft rain shelter and...
- INSTANT INSTALLATION: Designed for utmost convenience our instant popup tents can be set up instantly and are equally easy to fold back into included carry bag – set these up effortlessly at the...
- HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL: Pop-up Pod from GigaTent is very easy to use. Made with high-quality polyester taffeta 190 T water-resistant coating. Includes a flexible steel frame for premium durability. This...
- Spacious Space: The tent is 47.2" L x 47.2" W x 74.8" H providing a spacious interior shelter that comfortably fits a tall man without touching your head, which is much higher and roomier than our old...
- UPF 30+ & Good Ventilation: The polyester fibric with taped seams blocks 60% harmful UV rays. Zipper window with large entrance deliver 360-degree ventilation for better dissipation of body heat and...
- Multi-function: The shower tent offers a private space for using the toilet and enjoying a quick shower when you go camping outside. It also provides a changing room for models to change clothes when...
- High Quality Material - Our portable tent is made of high quality waterproof polyester material which is lightweight and sturdy. The instant tent provides private space for camping bathroom & potty...
- New Convenient Design - Our bathroom tent has two openings that can be used for two rooms. Windows offer easy ventilation. Includes towel bar and mesh pockets for toiletries. Sturdy Poles provide...
- Universal Usage - Our instant camp shower tent takes care of your privacy. It offers dual room feature. One room can be used for shower and the other one as a portable changing room or restroom. Both...